How to Make Straccetti
- Take a non-stick frying pan.
- Heat up olive oil in the pan on a high flame.
- Add onion into the pan.
- Stir fry it until it turns dark brown. You have to keep frying it for at least 15 minutes for the rich dark color and a hard texture.
- Add garlic into the pan after that.
- Stir fry it for a few minutes until it turns slightly brown.
- Now dip the straccetti into olive oil one by one and transfer each of these into the pan.
- Let one side cook for at least 20 minutes then flip and let the other side cook for the same time on medium heat.
- After the beef seems to be properly cooked, add salt, black pepper powder, dried oregano, dried parsley leaves and red pepper flakes into the pan.
- Stir fry it all for about a minute so all the spices can blend in well.
- Now, turn the flame low and sprinkle the chopped arugula leaves over the prepared beef.
- Again stir fry for about a minute then take it off the heat.
- Serve it in a large dish and garnish it with the mozzarella cheese cube in the centre.
- Enjoy with your favorite sauce!
- The full name of straccetti is ‘Straccetti di manzo con la rughetta’. It means little rags of beef with arugula.
Arugula is known as the plant for poor men in Italy.