Spicy Indian Chicken and Mango Curry recipe
6 skinless chicken thighs, each cut in half
salt and pepper
10g unsalted butter
1/2 tbsp groundnut oil
2 medium onions, roughly chopped
3 cloves of garlic, crushed
6 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 ½ tbsp curry paste (any common curry paste will do fine)
1 tsp ground ginger
250 ml chicken stock
1 tsp soft light brown sugar
160ml tin coconut cream
1 just ripe mango, peeled and sliced
3 tbsp double cream
juice of 1/2 lemon or 2 limes
2 tbsp roughly chopped coriander
How to make Spicy Indian Chicken and Mango Curry recipe
- Heat the butter and oil in a saucepan, and add the chicken to the sizzling oil.
- Cook until the chicken isgolden brown on both sides, seasoning it with salt and pepper while frying.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate. To the oil in the pan, add the onions and garlic andcook over medium heat until soft. It takes about 7 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another 3 minutes, stirring the stew from time to time.
- Add the curry paste and ginger.
- Slow cook again for another 2 minutes, or at least until the spices have had sufficient time torelease their delectable aroma.
- Add the stock, bring to slow boil and keep cooking till thickened.
- Turn the heat down, add the coconut cream andthe chicken again and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add the mangoand cook for 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add the cream and add the lemon or lime juice.
- Simmer for about a minute to let the juice sink in.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with freshly cooked rice.
The Paisley design, renowned all over India was developed based on the shape of a mango. Did you know mangoes belong to the cashew family?