How to Make Seafood Risotto
- Place water, bottled clam juice, and reserved juice from canned clams into a medium saucepan.
- Set over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large pot or deep skillet.
- Stir in onion, and cook until softened; about 10 minutes.
- Stir in rice, and cook while stirring for 3 to 5 minutes.
Note: Do not let rice brown.
- Pour in wine, and cook.
- Stir until the wine is evaporated.
- Add ½ cup of simmering broth and stir until the broth is almost all evaporated.
- Then add another ½ cup of broth.
- Stir in saffron and basil.
- Continue adding broth ½ cup at a time.
- Stir until the liquid has evaporated and the rice is almost al dente; about 20 minutes.
Stir in clams, flaked salmon, and 1/2 cup broth when the inside of the rice is slightly more firm than desired in the final dish.
- Stir until the liquid evaporates.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Vigorously stir in a½ cup broth.
- Remove from heat before the liquid has completely evaporated.
- Serve and enjoy!
The starch content of Arborio rice, the rice used in risotto, is what gives risotto its creamy quality.