Savory Shankarpali Recipe
vegetable oil — for deep frying
water — for kneading the dough
tbsp ghee or hot oil
salt — according to taste
tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
tsp chili powder — according to taste
tbsp semolina (sooji)
cup all-purpose flour (maida)
How to make Savory Shankarpali Recipe
- Add maida to a mixing bowl. Combine sooji, jeera, chili powder, and salt. Add all other dry ingredients as well.
- Add hot oil or ghee over the maida. This will ensure that the shankarpali remains crispy.
- Crumble well while rubbing with your hands. Exercise care as the ghee will be quite hot.
- Add water slowly and knead into a dough. Continue kneading for 5 minutes until the dough is firm and stiff.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and set aside for about half an hour.
- Knead the dough once again and make a large-sized ball. Flatten it well. Grease the rolling base and the rolling pin. Roll the dough into a square or a round-shape a little thicker than a chapati.
- Cut with a knife or pizza cutter maintaining the desired shape. Drop the shankarpali into the hot oil. Flip it to ensure it is fried evenly. Continue heating over a low-medium flame until it is golden brown.
- Drain the excess oil and allow the shankarpali to cool to room temperature before storing in a tightly sealed container
Did you know only mammals are sensitive to chilies? Birds are completely immune!