- 150 ml golden rum
- 75 ml fresh lime juice
- 175 ml fresh orange juice
- 50 ml simple syrup
- A generous pinch of freshly-grated nutmeg
- Dark rum cocktail – with a lime slice
- Dash of Angostura bitters
- Dash of grenadine syrup
- To serve: Ice cubes
- To garnish: 1 thick slice orange
How to make Rum Punch
Punch is derived from the Sanskrit (pañc), which means ‘five’. This is because the original recipe of the drink is made with 5 ingredients: sugar, alcohol, lemon, tea (spices), and water.
The origin of the word ‘Rum’ is uncertain but some etymologists believe it was taken from the word for sugar in Latin, which is ‘saccharum’. Rum has many nicknames and some of them are demon water, kill-devil, grog, Barbados water, pirate’s drink, and Nelson’s blood.