How to Make Ricotta Pie
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl stir together ricotta and eggs until smooth and soft. Set aside the filling.
- Combine flour, baking powder and sugar in a medium mix bowl. Mix well.
- Cut the butter with a pastry blender until it turns into crumbs.
- Mix it lightly with the beaten eggs. Pour in the vanilla extract until well combined.
- Divide the dough in half. Wrap it up tightly in plastic. Refrigerate it to cool, for at least 30 to 40 minutes.
- Now roll out the dough. And fit it into a greased pie plate. Make sure that the dough is not too thick as it will expand due to the baking powder and eggs.
- Pour the ricotta filling into the pie pan. Shield the pie with a foil and place it in the oven.
- Bake the pie for 30 to 45 minutes until the crust is golden.
- Once the crust is cooked, cool the pie in the refrigerator.
- Garnish the pie with whipped cream and lemon zest.
- Serve cool and enjoy!
- There is a world famous pie contest – World Pie Eating Championship - which has been taking place at the Harry’s Bar in Wigan since 1992.
- There is a Strange Pie Contest that takes place annually in California and it is popular for making strange pies.
- In 1644, Oliver Cromwell banned pie as according to him it was a “pagan form of pleasure”.
In the 16th century England, the rich used to put live animal in their pies. The animals would spring out when the pie was cut open.