How to make Pudina Rasam
- Soak the tamarind in warm water for 15 minutes.
- Crush cumin and pepper seeds using a mortar and pestle.
- Add to the tamarind juice and set aside.
- Add the chopped tomato.
- Mash well into the water.
- Combine the garlic, onion, and mint leaves in a mixer.
- Blend into a coarse mixture.
- Add to the tamarind juice.
- Mix the tamarind juice until all the ingredients are combined homogenously.
- Heat some oil in a heavy bottomed pan at a medium temperature.
- Add mustard seeds and cook until they splutter.
- Add curry leaves and red chillies.
- Sauté for a minute at a low temperature.
- Pour the tamarind mixture into pan with salt to taste, asafoetida, and turmeric powder.
- Stir thoroughly.
- Cook at a low temperature until the mixture turns frothy and begins boiling.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with some mint and coriander leaves.
There are about 30 different types of mint. The most common mint you can see in a garden is spearmint.