How to make Plum Chutney
- Place the plums, onions and raisins in a large pan.
- Stir in the ginger, spices, salt and vinegar and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 mins until the plums are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Boil the chutney for 20 to 30 mins, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thick and pulpy and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Spoon the hot chutney into clean, warm and dry jars. Cover with two-piece lids. Process in boiling-water canner.
- Label and store in a cool dry dark place for at least 2 weeks before eating to allow the flavor to develop and mellow.
- Japanese plums come in a wide range of colors from gold to blood red, but never the blue/purple skin color. Most also have yellow flesh, but some have red flesh.