How to make Pizza Dough
- Sift and mix whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, sugar, salt and yeast and remove any hard particles.
- Add olive oil to the flour mixture and mix.
- Start to knead the flour mixture by adding in water drop by drop.
- Knead dough until it forms a sticky ball and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Brush olive oil on the dough and cover the bowl with a cheese cloth or plastic.
- Put the bowl in warm place and let it rise for 18 hours.
- After 18 hours it should have doubled in size.
When you want to use the dough, take it out on a clean floured surface and knead it 3-4 times and cut it to make 4 balls. Stretch and smooth out the balls and put them on a tray. Cover and let rise for 15 more minutes.
If you want to save the dough for later use, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and freeze it. Take it out and thaw it overnight when you want to use it next.
- Until the early 1800s, pizza was thought of as a peasant dish.This was until a baker made margarita pizza for visiting royalties.
- In the US alone, there are more than 69,000 pizzerias of all sizes.
- Las Vegas, Nevada hosts a Pizza Expo each year which all the pizza connoisseurs attend.
- The largest Pizza was made in 1987 by Lorenzo Amato and Louis Piancone. It was 170 feet across in diameter and fed more than 30,000 people.