- Pour pinto beans into a large bowl and cover them with water.
- Soak beans for 4 hours.
- Change water every 30-45 minutes.
- Drain the pot.
- Boil 6 cups of water in a large pot.
- Add kosher salt, pinto beans, and ham hock to the pot.
- Cover the ingredients by at least 1 inch of water.
- Note: Pour in more water as needed.
- Reduce heat to a medium-low temperature and simmer until beans become just tender.
- Remove the ham hock from beans.
- Slice the meat from the bone.
- Chop the ham.
- Return the ham to the pot.
- Stir the tomato sauce and brown sugar into the beans.
- Let simmer until the beans turn tender and the flavors are blended.
Children in America learn to do basic math using pinto beans as a counter.