How to Make Passion Fruit Spritzer
- Peel and juice the oranges and lemon into a separate bowl, and remove any seeds and rinds. The juice should be equal to 3 cups and ¼ cup respectively.
- Cut the passion fruits in halves and remove the pulp into a separate bowl with a spoon, and set aside.
- Add the orange juice, lemon juice, sugar and ¼ cup of cold water in a sauce pan and heat it over medium-low heat,
- Cook the mixture for 4-5 minutes or until the sugar has dissolved completely, stirring constantly.
- Increase the flame to a medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the flame back to medium-low and let the mixture simmer for 15-20 more minutes or until it thicken slightly.
- Remove the sauce pan from the heat and add the passion fruit pulp into the orange mixture and stir. Let the liquid cool down.
- Pour the concentrate into a pitcher and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chilled.
- To serve, add strawberry slice to the glasses, pour ¼ cup of the orange-passion fruit concentrate and top with enough chilled sparkling water.
- For an alcoholic version of the drink, add a shot of vodka per serving before topping with sparkling water.
- It is believed that oranges originated around 4000 B.C. in the Southeast Asia, and were brought over to the Americas by Christopher Columbus, when he brought orange seeds during his second voyage to the region in 1493.
Did you know that the Renaissance paintings that display the “The Last Supper” are wrong, since oranges were not cultivated in the Middle East until the 9th century?