How to make Mint and Onion Chutney
- To a pan, add 2 teaspoons of oil and add the red chilis and 1 tablespoon of urad dal.
- Roast over a medium flame till golden brown and keep aside.
- Add 2 more teaspoons of oil to the pan and add the peeled onions.
- Sauté the onions until golden brown.
- Switch off the flame and add the mint leaves, salt and asafetida.
- Mix well, the mint has to get cooked in the heat of onions. Allow to cool completely.
- Blend into a fine paste by adding water as required.
- Temper with mustard seeds and 1/4 teaspoon of urad dhal.
- You can use two big onions, but with small onions, the taste is better.
- You can add half a tomato after the onions are cooked.
- Few pods of garlic can also be added with onions which will give a different flavor.
- In extreme case where you cannot do without coconut, you can add 2 tablespoons of coconut pieces while grinding the mint onion chutney.
- The Romans believed that eating mint could increase intelligence.
- The leaves of mint contain compounds like Pulegone and Menthol that gives it the characteristic aroma and the cooling effect.
- There are three types of onions: yellow, white and red.
- Libya is reputed to have the highest per person consumption of onions in the world.