How to make Radish Chutney
- Heat oil in a frying pan (kadhai) and to it add urad dal, chana dal, hing, and red chilis.
- Fry on moderate heat till the dal turns golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Add grated radish, onion, salt, turmeric to the frying pan.
- Stir-fry till the earthy smell from the radish and onions is no longer present and they are well cooked.
- Allow to cool and blend into a coarse paste.
- For tempering, heat oil in a pan. Add mustard and once they splutter, add curry leaves.
- Mix the tempering with chutney.
- The strong pungent smell of radishes are caused by the same oils that give a similar property to mustard.
- Did you know the laborers who built the Pyramids in Egypt were paid with radishes, onions, and garlic as wages?