How to make Meetha Chutney
- Wash the dates, chop them roughly and keep aside.
- Heat a pan and dry cook cumin and fennel seeds.
- Cool and grind the cumin and fennel.
- To a bowl, add the cumin, black salt, tamarind pulp, dates and powdered fennel, powdered red chili, powdered dry ginger, jaggery, salt and one cup of water.
- Cook the mixture on moderate flame till it starts boiling.
- On a low flame, continue cooking for six to eight minutes.
- Low water and high sugar content give dates a long shelf life.
- Of the more than 200 varieties of dates in the world, Medjool is the hardest to grow, hence the costliest.
- One cup of dates converts into 400 calories.