Paruppu Thogayal / Thuvaiyal
How to make Paruppu Thogayal / Thuvaiyal
- Insert the tamarind in a skewer and char it in a fire on a gas stove for 15-20 seconds.
- The outer skin would turn black. Remove and set aside to cool down.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet and add in the toor dal and dry red chilies.
- Slowly roast the lentils on a low flame till the lentils are light brown in color. Set aside on a plate to cool.
- Dry roast fresh shredded coconut on a low flame till it slightly changes color. Do not roast the coconut for long. Remove from heat and set aside on a plate to cool down.
- Grind all the prepared ingredients, salt, raw garlic in a heavy-duty mixer jar with very little water (¼th cup water) to a thick paste.
- Serve hot with rice.
In a few places, such as the Caribbean coast of Colombia, Dominican Republic, Panama and Hawaii, pigeon peas are cultivated for canning and consumption.