- 500 g (18 oz.) urad dal (split husked black lentils)
- salt to taste
- 3 green chillies--finely chopped
- 20 g (3/4 oz.) ginger, finely chopped
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz.) coconut, grated
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black pepper corns
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 50 g (1 3/4 oz.) cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable oil
Medu vada is a savory fritter made from a batter of ground ural dal (black lentils), chilies, ginger, cumin, coconut, and cilantro. The fritters are popular in South India and are often eaten for breakfast or as a snack.
- Urad dal, the major ingredient in medu vada, is rich in iron. By this, it can help boost hemoglobin and provide energy for the day-to-day activities of the body.It helps the digestive and cardiovascular systems to function effectively.
- Black pepper, another ingredient of the recipe, offers relief against respiratory issues. Also, it repels bacteria from the body. Its antioxidant content helps to boosts the immune system.
How to make Medu Vada
Take the medu vada toschool or work. Pack it in a lunch box or tiffin box. Check out Vaya Tyffyn online for a wide selection of tiffin boxes.