- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cucumbers, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- freshly ground black pepper and salt for added taste
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 (200g) pack crumbled feta cheese
- a handful of black Greek olives, pitted
Greek salad also called a peasant’s salad is renowned for the loaded vegetables and a single piece of rectangle shaped feta cheese. It is imagined that Greek peasants enjoyed this salad for their breakfast or lunch using fresh produce of cucumbers, onions and tomatoes.
Tomatoes bring in the acidity for the salad while the feta cheese balances it out well with the subtle salty taste. The cucumbers bring in the freshness needed for a salad, and this salad is so light that it makes a great accompaniment for the kebabs. There are many variants of Greek salad around the world, most of them having lettuce.Depending on preferences, a vinaigrette or lemon herb dressing can be used to bring in tanginess.
- Cucumber is a natural source of Fiber. It helps in digestion and improving overall gut health.
How to make Mediterranean Greek Salad
The US is the largest consumer of salad in the world.The largest salad in the world was made in Romania weighing 41,998 pounds.