Barley and Spinach Risotto
How to make Barley and Spinach Risotto
- Combine the vegetable stock and 3 cups of cold water in a large saucepan.
- Cook for 10 minutes at a medium temperature or until the mixture begins to simmer.
- Reduce heat to low to keep hot.
- Heat half the oil and butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan, over a medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook while stirring for 5 minutes or until the onions have softened
- Add barley.
- Stir to combine.
- Reduce temperature to low.
- Add 1/2 cup stock mixture to barley mixture.
- Cook while stirring until stock has absorbed.
- Repeat with remaining stock, adding 1/2 cup at a time, until all the liquid has been fully absorbed and the barley has turned creamy and tender.
- Stir lemon rind and spinach into the barley.
- Check for seasoning.
- Cook for 1 - 2 minutes or until the barley is thoroughly heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve risotto topped with lemon rind.
The 'inch' was originally made to measure barley.