How to Make Le Pain d’epices
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C.
- Butter a 9 inch baking pan. Dust it with flour, and tap out the excess.
- Mix together the flour, rye flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground cloves, grated nutmeg, anise seeds and salt in a medium-sized bowl.
- With the help of an electric beater, beat the butter, egg, honey and orange zest in a large bowl. Beat until well combined.
- Pour in the water. Then add in the dry ingredients. Scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is well mixed.
- Now transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan. Let it bake for an hour, or until the top of the cake turns brown.
- To make sure Le Pain d’epices is properly cooked insert a toothpick in the centre of the cake, if it comes out clean then it means that the cake has properly cooked.
- Take it out of the oven and transfer it to a cooling rack. Let it cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Now slice the cake and serve it on a serving plate.
- Le Pain d’epices is also called French cake or a quick cake.
The main ingredients of Le Pain d’epices are rye flour, honey and spices, but in Alsace, a tradition follows the incorporation of a pinch of cinnamon in the cake as well!