How to make Kerela Masala
- Slit each bitter gourd lengthwise, using a sharp knife.
- Scoop out the insides carefully creating a hollow in the center.
- Apply a little salt to the inside and outside of the bitter gourd and let sit 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a pan over medium-high flame, add mustard oil and splutter mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
- Add the onion paste and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, ginger, green chili paste, turmeric powder, dry mango powder, garam masala, salt, and coriander. Mix well.
- Sauté until the mixture separates from oil and let cool.
- Drain the water from the bitter gourd and pat dry.
- Fill the bitter gourd with the prepared mixture and tie with a thread.
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium flame and deep-fry the stuffed bitter gourds until they turn golden brown on all the sides.
Goya chanpuru is an Okinawan stir-fried dish for the health-conscious inhabitants of the island. The dish mainly comprises bitter melon, onion, tofu, pork, and eggs.