How to Make Italian Rice Pie
For Pastry Dough
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a food processor until well-combined. Add butter and egg. Mix until the mixture begins to form as dough.
- Place the dough onto the work surface and divide it into 6 equal portions. Using a pastry scraper form a thick log into a rectangular shape.
- Now wrap them up in a plastic wrap. Cool them in a refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Bring the rice and salted water to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce the heat and bring it to simmer until the rice is soft and tender. This will take 20 minutes. Drain in a sieve and rinse them under cold water.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a heatproof bowl. Add in the cornstarch and flour until the mixture is smooth and thick.
- Medium heat the milk in a heavy saucepan. Bring it to a boil. Now gradually add the hot milk to yolk mixture. Keep stirring until mixed well.
- Pour the custard into the saucepan. Bring it to a boil over medium heat, until the mixture is thick.
- Remove it from the heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla extract.
- Transfer it to a bowl. Refrigerate it to chill for 2 hours.
- Once chilled, add ricotta, custard, orange zest, lemon zest, cinnamon, salt and the cooked rice.
For Assembling the Pie
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree F with the rack in the middle.
- Generously add melted butter in a baking pan.
- Roll out the dough onto the baking sheet.
- Pour the prepared filling over the dough.
- Repeat the process. Then brush the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Bake the pie until the pastry is golden and perfectly set.
- Transfer it to a cooling rack.
- Once cooled, served it on a plate and enjoy.
- Rice pie is a classic dish of Italy
It is known as “torta di riso” in Italian.