- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon quick-rise yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4-1/3 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
How to Make Italian Cheese Bread
Known as Crescia al Formaggio in Italy, the Italian cheese bread is excellent as either a side or main dish, and snacks. With the bread along with your favorite sauce and a glass of wine, you will have an unforgettable time treating yourself.
It is also less commonly known as the Easter bread. At Easter time, inhabitants of Italy and cooks together bake an extraordinarily large bread of the Italian cheese bread type which is called crescia meaning ‘to grow’.
The above-given recipe dates back to 1999 when it was published in Taste of Home in June/July. This indicates that the recipe is nottoo old, but must have evolved from ancient types of bread that had cheese as an ingredient or were topped with it.