How to Make Italian Beef
- Take a clean large pot and pour water into it. Add salt, dried oregano, dried basil, ground black pepper, onion salt, garlic powder, parsley, bay leaf, and salad dressing mix to it and stir well with the help of a wooden spoon.
- Place the pot on high heat and bring this mixture to a boil.
- In a large clean slow cooker, place the rump roast and pour the already prepared mixture in the pot over the roast in the cooker. Make sure that the roast is entirely covered in the salad dressing mixture.
- Cover the cooker and place it on low heat for it to cook. (You can either place it on low heat for 10 to 12 hours or at high heat for 4 to 5 hours to cook the meat)
- Once the roast is cooked, remove the bay leaf and discard it.
- Take the meat out on a platter or a dish and shred it with the help of a fork and serve it with hot dog buns or pile bread and lay strips of green bell pepper on top of the shredded meat.
It is believed that Italian beef was prepared for the first time by Italian immigrants in the U.S. in the early 1900s although its exact origin is still unknown.