How to Make Easter Meat Pie
- To make the dough, take the all-purpose flour, add warm water, salt, sugar, yeast, dough flavor, and olive oil into it. Mix and knead all the ingredients well.
- Now place the dough in a bowl. Cover it and set it aside to let it double its size.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Whisk together the eggs, ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, salt and pepper.
- Add in the ham, salami and pepperoni. Mix until well combined.
- Refrigerate the filling to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Divide the prepared dough into four equal pieces. Now roll the dough out into a circular shape on a rolling mat.
- Once fully rolled out, drape it into the pie plate. Place the slices of prosciutto and then evenly coat it with the filling.
- Place the pies on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake the pies for one and a half hour, until they are light golden brown.
- Five minutes before the end of the baking time, take the pies out and lightly brush them with the olive oil for the nice glow. Transfer them into the oven again.
- Serve it warm and enjoy!
- Pies in the middle ages were filled with different types of meat.
- There’s a world famous pie-eating contest – World Pie Eating Championship - that’s held annually in the UK.
- In 1644, Oliver Cromwell banned pie as he considered it as the “pagan form of pleasure”.
In the 16th century England, the rich used to put live animals in their pie.