Dolmas (Stuffed Grape Leaves)
How to make Dolmas (Stuffed Grape Leaves)
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan at a medium temperature.
- Sauté onions until they turn tender.
- Stir in rice and cover with hot water.
- Cover the pan and let simmer until the rice is half cooked.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in allspice, cinnamon, cumin tomato paste, currants, pine nuts, cinnamon, mint leaves, and dill weed.
- Let mixture cool.
- Prepare a large pot by placing an inverted plate on the bottom.
- Note: This protects the dolmas from direct heat when steaming.
- Rinse grape leaves in warm water.
- Drain and cut off any stems.
- Place 1 tsp of the rice mixture in the center of a leaf.
- Fold in the sides and roll into a cigar shape.
- Place in prepared pot.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Cover the bottom of the first layer of dolmas with warm water.
- Cover the pot and let simmer over low heat for 30-45 minutes, or until rice is cooked completely.
- Check the water level frequently; add more as necessary.
Grape leaf dolmas are aslo referred to as sarma.