Crunchy Eggplant Parmesan
eggplants, peeled and sliced crosswise (1/4 inch thick)
salt to taste
1 1/2 cups
panko bread crumbs
dried Italian herb seasoning
cloves garlic, minced
prepared pasta sauce
shredded Italian cheese blend
grated parmesan cheese
How to Make Crunchy Eggplant Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and spray an 11x13-inch baking dish and two baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Put the eggplant slices on a rack or paper towel and sprinkle both sides with salt. Let it drain for 30 minutes, rinse, and pat it dry with paper towels, then place them on the baking sheets.
- Bake the eggplants in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until they are tender.
- In a shallow bowl, add the beaten eggs. In a separate shallow bowl, add breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning. First, dip the dried eggplant into the eggs and then press into the breadcrumb mixture. Put these prepared eggplants on the baking sheets and spray each slice with cooking spray.
- Place an oven rack 6 inches away from the heating source and let the broiler preheat.
- Broil the eggplant slices until they are golden brown (2-3 minutes), then, remove the slices, and repeat the same step with the other side as well. After removing the eggplants, you will need to turn the heat to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and stir until the onions are translucent. Add the pasta sauce and remove from the heat.
- Add a layer of the pasta sauce in the baking dish. Top with half of the eggplant slices, then the Italian cheese blend, half of the parmesan cheese, and repeat.
- Bake this in the oven until the cheese begins to melt and gets bubbly. Let it rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- The traditional version of this dish contains hard-boiled eggs.
- This dish originated from Southern Italy.
Sometimes, it is considered “healthy lasagna.”