- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup of onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups ground beef, broken into pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tbsp chopped pickled hot peppers
- 8 slices american cheese
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 4 soft white hero rolls, split and toasted
- shredded iceberg lettuce, sliced tomatoes, ketchup and hot sauce, for topping
- potato chips, for serving
How to Make Chopped Cheese Sandwich
Despite the fact that the chopped cheese sandwich has picked up a lot of hype lately, the real origin of the sandwich is still not certain.
Tremont Deli Grocery in the United States is credited to be the originator of the chopped cheese. There is a hypothesis that the sandwich was influenced by an Arabic delicacy, "dagha yamneeya", which is basically cooked using chopped meat and vegetables and is presented with Yemeni bread.
Some people argue that chopped cheese is an extremely old dish that has existed for centuries now and was introduced in the era of Columbus, while some think it is a recent formation.