How to Make Cassata Cake
- Whisk flour with 4 tablespoons milk to make the filling. Since there are likely to be lumps, whisk until it reaches a smooth consistency. The mixture should be whisked until thick. Use a spatula to press lumps.
- Add the remaining amount of milk and whisk. Transfer the mixture to a heavy-bottom saucepan. Cook the mixture at medium flame and let it simmer. Keep whisking repeatedly. Once the mixture starts to bubble, remove pan from flame and stir well for 30 seconds.
- Use a plastic wrap to cover the mixture and let it cool for 30 minutes.
- In an electric mixer, add vanilla, citrus oil, sugar and butter. Let it beat at high speed for 5 minutes.
- Add the milk mixture from saucepan and let it beat at high speed until you achieve smooth consistency or 5 minutes. Add and beat cheese, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Preheat oven to 335 degree Fahrenheit.
- Add baking powder, cornstarch, flour and salt in a bowl. Whisk.
- Add milk and vanilla in a separate bowl. Whisk.
- Beat egg whites in mixer at high speed. Add I cup sugar while the mixer is still running. Pour mixture into a bowl and let it sit.
- Wipe the mixer. Beat butter and 1 cup sugar at low speed.
- Mix egg yolks, 1 at a time. Mix at low speed.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Add mixture to separate pans in oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Let the cakes cool for 2 minutes. Use a spatula to remove cake from edges and onto a surface. Handle with care.
Add strawberries and ricotta between layers. Add whipped cream. Add more strawberries.