How to make Canja
- Add the chicken, onion, and chicken stock to a large sauce pan.
- Cover the pan with a lid and bring its contents to a simmer.
- Cook over low heat until the chicken is tender; about 45 mins.
- Lift the chicken out onto a platterthen set aside.
- Using a sieve, strain the stock.
- Skim off fat as much as possible from the stock after discarding the solids.
- Rinse out the saucepan and return the stock to the pan.
- Add the rice, tomatoes, and carrots to the stock.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Cook until the rice turns tender; about 25 min.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut it into ½ x 1 ½ in strips.
- Return the chicken and ham to the soup and cook just long enough for it to heat through.
- Add the parsley.
- Serve and enjoy!
The full name of canja is canja de galinha which translates to chicken congee.