How to make Cabbage Chutney
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add urad dal and asafetida and sauté on low flame till it turns golden brown.
- Add cabbage and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Note: Do not overcook, as the cabbage has to retain some crunchiness.
- Add dried red chilies and sauté for another minute.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool down completely.
- Transfer this into a mixing jar. Add tamarind pulp, salt, and water to it and blend to a fine paste.
- Transfer the chutney to a bowl and serve.
- Cabbage is a biennial plant, which means it completes its life cycle in 2 years.
- China is the largest manufacturer of cabbage.
- It is advisable not to use aluminum cookware while cooking cabbage.
- One cup of cabbage holds only 15 calories. As it is very low in fats and rich in fiber, it can help you control cholesterol and lose weight.
- Individuals with thyroid dysfunction are advised to avoid consumption of cabbage as it contains a compound called ‘goitrogens’ , which may cause swelling of the thyroid gland.
- Before use, cabbage should be thoroughly washed in cold running water and then soaked in saline water for 30 minutes to get rid of the harmful pests and insecticide spray.