How to Make Buck Eye
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the peanut butter, unsalted butter, vanilla essence and salt.
- Whisk until the mix is well blended and homogenous.
- Add 3 cups powdered sugar to the mix, whisk until blended.
- Shape a scoop of peanut butter into a tiny ball. The mixture should come together smoothly. If it is too crumbly, add a touch more peanut butter. If it is too sticky, add a bit more powdered sugar.
- Place your balls on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Place the chocolate in the top of a double boiler.
- Pour 1 cup of water in the bottom pan of the double boiler and simmer the water on low. As the chocolate starts melting over the heat of the hot water, stir until the chocolate is smooth. Remove the double boiler from the stove.
- Insert toothpick in ball. Dip 3/4 of ball into chocolate, leaving top uncovered to resemble a buckeye. Allow excess chocolate to drip from the buckeye.
- Tap the bottom of the balls on a piece of wax paper to remove excess chocolate, and then place the buckeye on a wax paper-lined baking sheet.Remove toothpick. Smooth over holes. Freeze until firm.