How to make Beetroot Pickle
- In a thick-bottomed pan, melt jaggery with 2 tbsp water and strain to remove impurities.
- Boil 1 cup water with salt and vinegar then set aside.
- In a pan, heat over medium flame and sauté ginger and garlic until golden, transfer to a plat and set aside.
- Add about teaspoon more oil and splutter mustard seeds. Once they start popping, add the spice powders and sauté for 2-3 minutes over low heat. Care must be taken not to burn the spice powders.
- Add the beetroot and fried ginger and garlic and stir to coat.
- Add the salt and vinegar solution and bring to simmer. Add jaggery and continue to simmer until the pickle thickens a bit.
- Switch off the flame after 3 minutes and let cool.
- Store in airtight jars once the pickles are completely cooled.