- Grind the beetroot into a smooth paste.
- Add a little water as needed to make into a puree.
- Place beetroot puree and rice flour into a bowl.
- Add water and mix with a spoon to make soft dough.
- Let the dough sit to cool slightly.
- Make soft dough once it is cool to the touch.
- Grease the idiyappam maker.
- Press lightly with oil.
- Set aside.
- Fill the idiyappam press with dough.
- Close the lid.
- Rotate the handle and the dough will come out of the mould as strings.
- Press the dough onto the greased idiyappam maker in circles.
- Repeat until all the dough is utilized.
- Sprinkle with grated coconut.
- Place the idiyappam maker in the steamer.
- Serve with your favorite side dish.
Idiyappam is a popular food in south India, but did you know it’s one of the most popular street foods in Singapore?