How to Make Angel Food Cake
- Beat the egg whites inside a bowl, so that they form stiff peaks. Then add vanilla extract, almond extract and cream of tartar inside the bowl.
- Sift flour, salt and sugar 5 times. Make sure to repeat the procedure.
- Gently combine the dry ingredients with the egg whites and then pour the concoction inside a 10-inch tube pan.
- Place the cake pan inside a cold oven, and turn it on.
- Turn the oven on, and set it at 325 degrees.
- Cook the cake for about an hour, until it has become golden brown.
- Invert the cake, and give it the time to cool inside the pan at room temperature. When the cake has been thoroughly cooled, take off the pan and serve the cake.
- October 10 is observed as the angel food cake day across the whole of America and some historians say this day marks the day the cake originated.
- Angel cake is believed to be the favorite dessert of many first ladies who stayed in the White House. The most prominent of these ladies was Lucy Webb Hayes, who was the wife of America’s 19th President, Rutherford B. Hayes.
It is believed that the angel food cake originated in Pennsylvania back in the 18th century.