- Heat a griddle over medium heat.
- Once it is hot enough, use a ladle to pour batter and spread the batter by rotating the griddle in circular motion. This should create a thick dosa. You’ll notice some bubbles in the uthappam after a minute.
- Sprinkle over with all the vegetables and sprinkle cumin seeds last. Use a spatula or ladle to press the vegetables gently.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp. oil over the dosa and drizzle a few drops on the vegetables.Once the bottom starts to turn golden brown, you’ll notice many holes on the top. Flip over the dosa so that the bottom side is now up.
- If required, sprinkle this side with little oil. Let the other side cook for a couple of minutes.
- Once it is properly cooked, use a spatula to remove the uthappam from the pan.
- Serve hot with the sambar or chutney of your choice.
To ensure your foods are never cold, get a VayaTyffyn lunchbox. These lunchboxes are designed to be airtight in order to make sure your meals stay in perfect conditions. No heating or microwaving before you can enjoy your meal that’s still steaming hot.
- Uthappam is also spelt as Uttapam but the important and natural ‘h’ sound which is necessary for pronouncing it in Tamil is usually missed.