How to Make Succotash
- Stir in fresh lima beans, yellow onion, thyme sprigs and garlic clove in a medium sized bowl over high heat. Bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium settings. Gently simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Continue stirring until the beans are tender. Drain the beans and discard onion, thyme and garlic.
- Place the bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium heat for 8 minutes or until crisp.
- Cook sweet onion with the bacon over medium heat for 10 minutes. Add corn and stir for 6 minutes until it is tender. Stir in lima beans and tomatoes, stir them occasionally.
- Stir in butter, red wine vinegar, fresh dill and fresh chives.
- Season the dish with salt and pepper. Sprinkle over the bacon and enjoy!
- Lima beans produce white flowers which possess both types of reproductive organs, a characteristic of perfect flowers. They contain large quantities of nectar which attract honey bees to pollinate plants.
It takes about 90 days for lima beans to reach maturity after sowing. A single hectare of lima beans produce about 10,000 pounds of beans every year.