- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 links Polish kielbasa sausage, patted dry with a paper towel
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 fresh poppy seed hot dog buns
- yellow mustard
- 6-10 pickled sport peppers
The key feature of this sandwich is the unique sausage, actually its widely available in retail stores throughout the Chicago area. It is basically marketed as the “Maxwell Street” variety, which is a Chicago-specific variation of kielbasa.
How to Make Street Polish Sandwich
A Maxwell Street Polish consists of a grilled or fried length of Polish sausage topped with grilled onions and yellow mustard and optional pickled whole, green sport peppers, served on a bun. The sandwich traces its origins to Chicago's Maxwell Street market, and has been called one of "the classic foods synonymous with Chicago".