How to Make Stollen
- In a small bowl, mix the warm milk and yeast together until it is completely dissolved. Let it stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, sugar, salt, butter and bread flour with the yeast and beat using an electric mixer. Add the remaining flour and stir well until fully combined. When you see a dough like consistency formed, place it on a flour dusted surface. Start kneading the dough and add the currants, citrus peel and the candied fruits to it. Continue kneading the dough until it is completely smooth.
- Lightly grease a large bowl with some cooking spray or unsalted butter.
- Place the dough in the bowl and cover it with a damp cloth. Let it stand for an hour or so until it has doubled in size.
- Grease a cookie sheet lightly. Knead the dough again and roll it out on the floured surface.
- Roll out the marzipan in a rope and place in the middle of the flattened dough. Fold the dough and cover it.
- Pinch the edges and seams of the dough so that it is sealed. Place the dough on the cookie sheet with the seam side down. Cover it with a damp cloth and let it rise (about half an hour)
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 40 minutes .
- Let it cool for 10 minutes before dusting it with confectioners’ sugar.
9th December is National Pastry Day.