Spicy Chicken and Cilantro Wontons
lb chicken thighs – diced, skinless, and boneless
stalks lemon grass – cut into 1 in pieces
cup fresh ginger root – chopped
bulb garlic cloves – separated and peeled
fresh red chile pepper – chopped
bunches fresh cilantro
cup soy sauce
tbsp sesame oil
qt vegetable oil for frying
- Place the main ingredients:sesame oil, lemon grass, cilantro,ginger, garlic, chile pepper, soy sauce and chickenin a food processor.
- Mix the ingredients by pulsing the processor until the chicken is minced.
- Divide the wonton wrappers and place them down over a flat, clean surface.
- Set aside a bowl of clean water designated for finger dipping.
- Place 1 tsp of the chicken mixin the middle of each wrapper.
- Wipe the edge of each wrapper with a finger that you dipped into water.
- Fold the wrapper over into the shape oftriangles and press the edges together to seal.
- Fold the two opposing points of the triangle together.
- Heat the oil to 365° F in a deep-fryer or frying pan.
- Deep-fry a few wontons at a time.
- Note: Turn the wontons over as needed, ensuring they are slightly browned on each side.
- Remove the wontons and let drain over paper towels.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Wontons originated in China. A tradition followed in the eve of new year in China is placing a coin inside a dumpling. Served in the family, the person who gets to bite the coin in the dumpling is considered luckiest!