How to Make Sicilian Fig Cookies
- The best way to work on the dough is to use Crisco instead of butter for the dough.
- Butter can also be used if Crisco is not available.
- Put flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in the food processor.
- Mix them well together.
- Add butter/Crisco pieces and pulse.
- Add eggs and additional pulse until the dough starts getting tougher.
- Knead the dough on a surface to smoothen it out.
- Shape the dough into a log and wrap it in plastic, overnight.
- Make sure it chills down well.
- Chillier dough is easier to work with as a warmer one will be a lot stickier.
- Remove the stems from the figs and chop into medium- sized pieces.
- Put all other fillings into the food processor and chop them up properly.
- Cut the log of the dough into 10 pieces (or as many as you want).
- Fill up the middle of these pieces with the filling.
- Bake the cookies at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes until a light golden color is achieved.
- Make sure you don’t apply the icing until the cookies have completely cooled down.
Make sure the frosting has a proper consistency or else it’ll melt away.