How to Make Scrumptious Rustica
- Begin by dicing mozzarella cheese and meat. Set aside.
- Beat all the 7 eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, add beaten eggs, meat, mozzarella, ricotta cheese, sausages, onion powder, grated cheese and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix the contents well together.
- Place the pie shell on a flat surface and pour the mixture inside. Use the second pie shell to cover the first one and seal the edges together.
- Place the pie on a greased baking pan and put it inside the oven.
- Set the oven at 325° F and allow the pie to bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Use a fork to pierce the top occasionally.
- Remove from the oven, let it cool down and enjoy the delicious Rustica.
- Originally, mozzarella was made using only water buffalo milk.
- Original and traditionally made mozzarella is cut by hands and that’s how it got its name. “Mozzare” means to chop off or cut off.
Mozzarella was originated in Campania, not by the locals but by the Normans who invaded the southern Italy in the late 11th century.