How to Make Scampi
- Take the flour in a large mixing bowl and season properly with salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
- Whisk the egg thoroughly in another bowl and keep aside.
- Take a third bowl to put your breadcrumbs in.
- Now take each scampi shrimp, and first dip into the first bowl of dry ingredients. Dust any excess flour off of the shrimp and next, dip it into the bowl with the whisked egg. Once this is done, roll the scampi into the third bowl with the breadcrumbs.
- Once the scampi has been through all three bowls, set it aside on a plate.
- Repeat the process for all remaining shrimps.
- Heat oil in a pan. The oil should be around 180°C. dip the scampi into batches in the oil and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, until the breading turns a golden
- Once you have fried all your shrimps, serve with sliced lemons and tartar sauce.
- The United Kingdom alone buys about £50 million worth of scampi each year.
- The other name for the langoustine scampi is also Dublin Bay prawn.
Shrimp scampi is also a very popular dish in the United States of America, where it was introduced by the Italian-American immigrants and remains a classic part of Italian-American cuisine. In this case, shrimp scampi refers to shrimps tossed in garlic butter sauce with a dash of white wine. The other variants of this dish are also made, such as chicken scampi, scallop scampi, scampi on pasta etc.