- Use or finger or a knife to tear the sausages into small pieces. Take a cast iron skillet and add the oil. Now fry the sausages in the skillet at medium to low heat. Fry the sausages till they are slightly brown in colour.
- Sprinkle the flour little by little over the sausage and keep stirring the frying sausages as you add the flour. Keep adding the remaining flour and keep mixing the sausage with the flour thoroughly till the sausage has absorbed all the flour.
- Cook the mixture for about a minute and then add the milk in the pan slowly. Keep stirring the sausage as you add the liquid.
- Let the gravy simmer in low heat and keep stirring as the gravy thickens.
- Sprinkle in salt and fresh ground black pepper according to taste.
- If the gravy gets too thick, then you can add more milk if necessary.
- Let the mixture simmer till the thickness is according to your preference and then take the pan off the stove.
- Your gravy now is ready to be enjoyed with warm biscuits or in any other way you want to.
- Sausage gravy is traditionally served in southern households as breakfast along with other breakfast foods such as biscuits, eggs, hash brown potatoes, bacon etc.
- National Biscuits and Gravy Day falls on February 21st and December 2nd in the USA.
There is also a Biscuits and Gravy Week in the USA, which falls on the second week of September. This is a clear indication of the enormous importance and popularity of sausage gravy in the culinary traditions of the USA.