How to Make Ricotta cookies
- Preheat the oven to about 350 degrees F.
- In a medium sized bowl, pour butter, eggs, ricotta cheese, vanilla extract and sugar and stir them together until they form a thick, creamy mixture.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and baking soda. Blend them into the creamy mixture.
- Roll the resulting dough into teaspoon sized balls.
- Spread the balls on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake the teaspoon sized balls for about 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove them once they are lightly browned.
- In a separate bowl, mix together milk, powdered sugar and almond extract until you see a smooth texture. Spoon this mixture over the warm cookies and spread candy sprinkles on them.
- Cookies became a part of main staple in all levels of society throughout Europe. This includes the royalty all the way to the common street vendors, they were enjoyed by all walks of life.
- Cookies were brought into the US by the Dutch in the late 1620s.
Cookie is derived from the word ‘koekje’, which means ‘small or little cake’.