How to make Mutton Shammi Kebab
- Soak chana dal in hot water for 8 hours.
- In a pressure cooker, heat 1 tbsp ghee and then add mace, garlic cloves, cinnamon stick, green cardamoms, brown cardamom, bay leaf, and black peppercorns. Mix everything well.
- Once they begin to crackle, addmutton keema, red chili powder and salt. Mix and cook for 1 minute.
- Add soaked chana dal and a 1 cup of water and stir to combine. Pressure cook for 2 whistles or until the mutton is tender.
Note: If there’s still water remaining, cook until the mix is completely dried up.
- Grind and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the refrigerator and add lime juice, onion and green. Mix wel..
- Use this dough to form flat balls and return to the fridge. Leave for about 10-12 minutes.
- In another deep pan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp ghee. Fry the kebabs until golden-brown throughout
- Place on paper towels to drain excess fat.
- Enjoy mutton shammi kebab with tangy chutneys or sauces!
The popular word “kebab” is derived from the word “kabab” in Persian language. It means “fry”. The earliest mention of the word is in 1377 in Turkish scripts.