How to make masala vada
- Use a mortar and pestle to make a coarse mixture of cinnamon, red chilis, cumin seeds and fennel seeds.
- Mildly crumble soaked dal with salt, and add mint, curry leaves, onion, prepared spice mixture, green chilies, and ginger garlic paste. Combine well. Dive the mixture into small portions and shape each portion into slightly flat discs.
- Deep fry each disc until crispy and golden.
- Transfer to paper towels to remove excess oil
- Enjoy with chutneys and ketchup!
- Cinnamon was one of the first known spices. The Romans believed Cinnamon's fragrance sacred and burned it at funerals. It was used in ancient Egypt 5,000 years ago and is mentioned numerous time in the Old Testament of the Bible.
- Because Cinnamon was one of the first spices sought in the 15th Century European explorations, some say it indirectly led to the discovery of America.