- Warm the oil in a large saucepan at a medium-low temperature.
- Add onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Mix in jasmine rice, green peas, and bay leaf.
- Coat the rice by stirring.
- Pour 3 cups of water into the saucepan with the salt.
- Increase the temperature of the heat to medium.
- Let the rice come to a quick simmer.
- Reduce the temperature to low.
- Lightly simmer the rice – let it sit uncovered until the liquid is fully absorbed.
- Cover the rice and remove from the heat.
- Let sit for approximately 40 minutes.
The "jasmine” in jasmine rice refers to the rice's color which is similar to the pristine white of the jasmine lower.