How to make Jackfruit Curry
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Add the mustard, cumin, and kalonji seeds and fry them for 1 minute.
- Stir in the dry red chilies and bay leaves.
- Add the ginger, garlic, and onion and keep cooking for 5-6 minutes.
- Keep stirring occasionally and cook until the onions become translucent.
- Add the coriander, turmeric, and black pepper, then stir well.
- Add the jackfruit and tomato puree.
- Stir until all the spices mix well with the vegetables.
- Add salt to taste.
- Cover the skillet and let the mixture cook for 15 minutes.
- Uncover and cook for a few minutes, until the tomato puree thickens.
- You will find the jackfruit pieces have begun to soften, so shred them a little in the skillet itself.
- Add 1-1.5 cups of water and cook the curry.
- Stir occasionally and adjust the salt as necessary.
- After 15 minutes, cover the skillet, reduce the heat to medium-low and let the curry cook for another 10 minutes or so.
- Keep checking it in between and let the water reduce down to your desired consistency.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
Green jackfruit is often called vegetarian meat because of its taste and texture.