How to Make Italian Tortellini Salad
- Add the balsamic vinegar, garlic, Dijon mustard, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a clean bowl; mix the ingredients with a whisk.
- Slowly start pouring the olive oil in the vinegar mixture while whisking continuously. This process should take 2 minutes. Keep the dressing aside.
For Cooking Tortellini:
- Fill a large pot with water, season with salt and bring it to a boil over a medium-high flame.
- Add the tortellini pasta to the boiling water and cook the pasta until al dente. Use packet instruction for accurate cooking timings. Be cautious of over cooking the pasta.
- Drain the pasta in a colander and rinse it with cold water to stop cooking. Let the water drain completely for a few minutes.
- In a large salad bowl, add the tortellini and drizzle half of the prepared dressing. Mix with a wooden spoon, making sure to coat every tortellini piece evenly.
- Add sun dried tomatoes, spinach, prosciutto and basil to the tortellini and toss the salad with wooden spoons.
- Add the remaining dressing to the salad and toss again to mix everything well.
- Add pine nuts and parmesan and toss the salad lightly again.
- Serve as a salad or as a side dish.
- Tortellini pasta in Italy is also known as ombelico that refers to the belly button shape of the pasta.
- Until the 19th century, tortellini was served only in affluent homes on holidays.