How to Make Italian Rice Balls
- Whisk together eggs, cheese, parsley, pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt in a mixing bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Pour water and 1 tsp salt into a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice and reduce heat to low.
- Cook rice until water is almost absorbed while stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and slowly pour in egg mixture.
- Stir rapidly to prevent egg from scrambling.
- Allow rice mixture to cool for 1 hour.
- Pour bread crumbs into a pile on one end of a cutting board.
- Dampen hands and roll rice mixture into 1 inch balls.
- coat each one with bread crumbs.
- In a small, deep skillet, heat olive oil to 175°
Note: Use enough oil to completely cover rice balls.
- Fry rice balls 6 at a time, turning as needed to ensure even browning.
- Drain on paper towels and serve warm.
Japanese rice balls are called "onigiri".